Monday, December 22, 2008

Christmas Advent Wreath and Cross


A number of years ago our then Pastor introduced the Advent Wreath to our Sunday Evening Service. This was quite different for us Southern Baptists, at that time. The Advent Wreath and its symbolism became a part of our family Christmas as our girls were growing up. We would have one in our home, even in the years when our Church did not. The meaning of the wreath and the ritual of it helped me many years in preparing my heart for Christmas.

Sometimes Christmas can become so busy that the peace and meaning of it gets lost.

This year we had a wreath at our Church. This afternoon Mitch and I went up and took some pictures of it. It was peaceful interlude in the busyness of Christmas.

In this image I find an appreciation for the Advent Wreath, as a preparation for the child to be born, and the cross, as an emblem of the child grown to be a man. Certainly the cross is not a peaceful image, yet it symbolizes for me a peace in my life for I have found Christ to be my peace.

I hope you are having a Merry Christmas, and that you find the peace of the season.


1 comment:

Top-of-the-Arch said...

Thank you for sharing photos of our beautiful country. I particularly appreciate your post on Christmas Advent Wreath and the Cross. I am so glad to know that there are others who are strong in their Christian faith. I was in Savanah, loved it and would be so happy to go back there again.
You have a wonderful family. God Bless and Happy New Year.