Monday, March 9, 2009

Sunset at Pine Island, Florida


Last night I went to Pine Island, on the Gulf Coast of Florida. From there I could see an “uninterrupted” sunset. There were no condominiums rising in the distance. There were no evening lights coming on. There was just ocean and sun, with a boat now and then. I don’t get to see many sunsets like this any more.

Don’t get me wrong, I love living on the lake: the eagles, the osprey, the quiet in the middle of the week when the weekenders go home. All of it!

There is just something about sitting and watching the sun melt into the sea that is beautiful in a unique way. As I wait for the sun to go “down” I feel myself calming down, relaxing, taking slow breaths. There is nothing else to do. The sun dips slowly, ever so slowly, down toward the horizon. My breathing slows. I am totally focused on the miracle. The colors are incredible. I can feel them in my bones. Then . .

It’s gone.

However, just sitting here writing about it brings it all back. I hope you can breathe deep and enjoy it.

1 comment:

Top-of-the-Arch said...

So beautiful - thanks for sharing - wish I was there :)
Have a good weekend.
TOTA