Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Please, you first!

Today a friend and I were talking. She had someone who made three appointments with her, and didn’t show up for the first two and then showed up an hour and a half late for the third. She was very frustrated. I could sympathize.
One thing led to another and we began discussing the why’s.
I said that I think it is a version of selfishness or at the least self-centeredness.
We talked on.
I told her that I believe this is some of what is wrong with the world today. From the banking scandal to the car pulling out in front of you in traffic, I do believe that if each of us thought of others first so many of our problems would go away. Oh, I know, this is simplistic. But, isn’t life really simple? Golden rule: do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Wouldn’t that show a decided lack of selfishness?
I believe it would work. I believe it could work.
I’ll try it, will you join me . . .

No comments: